Investing in one of the best air purifiers will make a difference in your home. From smoke to pollen to dust and viruses, these machines filter out everyday air pollution and make the air you breathe better quality. They are an excellent investment if you suffer from allergies, breathing difficulties, or need to deal with a lot of pet hair.
According to consumer reports, some air purifiers can even filter virus-carrying transmitted particles as a way to prevent COVID-19 coronavirus, which explains why air purifiers are in such short supply during this time, so if any of the models below are sold out, check back within a week to see if they are restocked. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, no air purifier can completely filter air pollutants, however, the best air purifiers can improve respiratory health.
Air purifiers are also particularly useful if you suffer from asthma or chronic allergies, and some have HEPA or HEPA-like filters that capture pet dander and plant pollen in the air. Droplets from a person infected with COVID-19 may also be captured by the purifier, depending on the specific model, at the rate of filtration.
The best air purifiers have multiple layers of pre-filters that capture larger particles (such as pet hair) before they reach the finer filters. Some use electrostatic gravity to capture tiny particles, others use UV light to destroy bacteria and mold, and other models even use charcoal or carbon filters to capture petroleum-based gases.
|1||Coway AP-1512 HH Mighty|
The Coway AP-1512 HH Mighty is consistently ranked as one of the best air purifiers on the market and one of the fastest selling products online and in brick and mortar stores. It’s reasonably priced, quieter for its size, and has most of the features we want, including a programmable timer, multiple fan speeds, and a filter indicator.
Replacement filters are fairly inexpensive, energy costs are relatively low, and the exterior looks comfortable, featuring a clean and stylish black or white color and a relatively compact size that doesn’t take up too much space compared to many other products with similar performance. the Coway Mighty is one of the only purifiers that we believe has an ionization feature, and the effectiveness and safety of the ionization filter is questionable (it may produce ozone) However, you can turn this feature off.
- 4-stage air purification system: includes pre-filter, True HEPA filter, carbon filter and ionizer to eliminate the widest range of contaminants and odors
- Eco Mode: Energy efficient operation 24/7 even in clean air
- Long filter life: HEPA filters are excellent and last up to one year, carbon filters up to six months
- Two color options: black and white
This unit not only removes dust and allergens, but also reduces household odors, mold and bacteria with a treatment capacity of up to 360 square feet (33.5 square meters).
If you had to choose one of the best air purifiers, the Rabbit Air MinusA2 would be the clear winner. With a wide range of features and purification capabilities, you get an unparalleled 6-stage air purification process to create the cleanest, freshest air possible, including.
- Pre-filter: captures the largest particles and extends the life of other filters
- Medium filter: captures large amounts of allergens and dust particles
- BioGS HEPA filter: an extra-long-life version of the True HEPA filter that captures all allergens, dust, pollen and mold particles
- Carbon filter: eliminates odors and chemical vapors
- Custom filters; allows you to customize the product to meet specific needs
- Ion generator: creates an ion field to neutralize airborne pollutants without generating ozone
You can customize the color and design of the front panel to suit your own distinctive tastes. In addition, it can be mounted on the wall, so it is easy to disguise as a piece of home art.
Highly regarded for its reliable performance in removing dust, smoke and pollen from indoor air, the Blue Pure 211 + is very effective despite the fact that the filter is not truly HEPA certified, working by electrifying the particles and causing them to stick to the filter fibers.
The pre-filter is available in five different colors, from an eye-catching yellow to an understated gray, allowing you to customize the look of your space. This machine also has a filter indicator that lets you know when the main filter needs to be changed. Potential drawbacks include louder operation at low speeds, relatively high purchase and maintenance costs – for example, it consumes more electricity than the Coway at similar speeds (despite filtering more air), and is louder and more expensive.
The Blue Pure 411 is like a smaller brother to the 211+, uses similar filtration technology and features, and is available in a variety of colors. The advantages are price and efficiency; the purifier is inexpensive to purchase and maintain, and uses much less energy than most other models we researched. This machine is small, compact and quiet, making it a great choice for bedroom placement.
It is worth noting that the Blue Pure 411 will not be very effective in larger spaces if you plan to move the purifier from room to room.
It’s a pricey high-performance purifier, but the trade-off is worth it. with dual carbon and True HEPA filters, the Airmega 400 cleans a lot of air more effectively than the competition in a short amount of time. the Airmega 400 is suitable for rooms up to 1560 square feet (145 square meters), but you can also get better performance in smaller rooms Performance.
Large and sleek, the Airmega 400 has handy features such as a programmable timer and screen shutdown to minimize distractions during sleep. There’s also a smart version of the Airmega 400S that you can integrate with your Alexa device or mobile app iOSAndroid.
|6||Austin Air HealthMate HM-400|
The main selling point of the Austin Air Healthmate HM-400 is the high performance and durable filter that can handle all sources of contamination such as mold, dander, gases, chemical pollutants, etc. This unit is not CADR tested, but is highly rated for filtering VOCs from household products such as paints, pesticides, air fresheners, etc., better than most competitors on the market.
In addition to being effective, the filter lasts up to five years, and you can also vacuum or clean the pre-filter periodically during that time. Some criticisms include a time-consuming filter replacement process, noisy medium to high fan speeds, plus a lack of some basic features (such as a programmable timer or filter indicator) that should be a must-have, even at a lower price. Although expensive, this would be a good choice if you are particularly concerned about chemicals and odors.
Honeywell is the #1 recommended brand by allergists and they produce widely acclaimed air purifiers. The HPA300 is a great product at an affordable price that uses a powerful True HEPA and carbon filter to clean the air of dust, allergens, smoke and odors and can handle up to 465 square feet (43 square meters) of space.
This unit has 4 speeds, a programmable timer and an adjustable control panel light. Our favorite feature is the auto-off timer with 2/4/8 hour intervals, which is also quieter at higher speeds than some other devices. the HPA300 is quite portable and you can easily move from room to room.
The downside is the filter replacement and maintenance requirements; True HEPA filters and pre-filters are disposable and must be replaced every 6 to 12 months; HEPA filters are actually three filters and can be difficult to locate correctly.
The Levoit LV-H132 is a top seller and the most affordable purifier on this list. Compact, stylish and portable, it is perfect for use at home, at work, and when traveling. The main advantage is the 3-stage air filtration system, including True HEPA filter, activated carbon filter and pre-filter.
The built-in night light has two brightness settings, which makes it a great air purification device for the bedroom. For the price, you can’t expect fancy features. There’s no programmable timer, and the filter indicator light will remind you to check the filter, but won’t tell you when to actually change it. You must throw out all three filters every 6 to 12 months because the pre-filters are not washable.
Designed for personal use, this small air purifier can only handle about 86 square feet (8 square meters) of space, but larger models are available for 322 square feet (30 square meters). the LV-H132 is loud at higher speeds and the buttons are reportedly fussy; they can stick, freeze or stop working altogether.
The PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA purifier is another popular (and affordable) model that is small, sleek, unobtrusive, and excels in both aesthetics and performance. What sets it apart is the quiet operating experience, very soft at lower air speeds, and an automatic timer that turns the unit off while you sleep, making it suitable for bedrooms and nurseries, where noise and light interference are important.
This unit comes with a 5-year warranty, which is longer than other products in its price range. The clean air output rate (CADR) is relatively low, and people complain about the weak wind, which limits it to small spaces, but it can effectively filter the most common airborne particles.
IKEA recently entered the air purifier segment with the FÖRNUFTIG, an affordable model that looks like a modern Danish speaker and is very attractive. The unit is so light and compact that it can even be hung on the wall. Maintenance costs are also low, and the FÖRNUFTIG comes with a small HEPA-like particle filter and an optional activated carbon filter for odors and volatile organic compounds.
In fact, one unit can only handle the smallest rooms, 108 square feet (10 square meters) or less, with a maximum CADR of 70 cfm, barely exceeding the EPA’s minimum recommendation and the lowest we’ve ever seen. For the highest fan speeds, it can be a bit loud. In theory, you could buy 2 to 3 units and hang them around the room. Overall, the FÖRNUFTIG can’t go head to head with the best air purifiers, but with such an affordable price, this is still a great option.
The Levoit Core 400S is one of the most attractive purifiers, with a wide variety of features and an affordable price that makes it a noteworthy contender in the 400 square foot (38 square meter) range. If the robot EVE from the movie WALL-E were an air purifier, this is what she would look like.
The white cylindrical top is equipped with a black vent through which air flows around a circular control panel. In the center of the control panel is a digital display that tells you how clean the air is, as measured by particles of 2.5 microns per cubic meter or less. If all is well with the surroundings, the LED light will show blue, and a decrease in air quality will turn it green, orange or red.
Since the 400S tests air quality, it automatically adjusts the fan speed to match. The Wi-Fi-enabled device can be controlled via the mobile app iOSAndroid, allowing you to adjust the purifier’s operating status from home or remotely, plus it’s compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
This is a top-of-the-line air purifier from Winix that uses patented PlasmaWave technology to provide the same air purification benefits as an ionizer, but without the ozone and other harmful side effects. 5500-2 not only removes 99.97% of dust and allergens using True HEPA filters, but PlasmaWave technology further eliminates other toxic pollutants. This is a safe way to kill bacteria and viruses without irritating symptoms such as allergies or asthma. There is also a carbon filter to help reduce odors and fumes.
The most notable feature is a built-in smart sensor that monitors the air quality in the room in real time and automatically adjusts the speed to maximize the air purification capacity of the unit, which is capable of handling a 360 square foot (33 square meter) room.
What makes AIRMEGA 300S so popular is that you can control every aspect through the mobile APPiOSAndroid. With the real-time air quality monitoring system, you can know exactly how the air is being polluted and purified.
This machine uses a set of advanced air filters: True HEPA and activated carbon — capable of capturing 99% of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and 99.97% of other pollutants, one of the best ratings in the industry. Another advantage is the larger air purification coverage area of approximately 1256 square feet (117 square meters), which is good for most homes. It’s costly because of its feature-rich nature, but it’s worth every penny you spend.
If you own pets and want to remove pet hair in addition to freshening the air, this small unit is the way to go. Hamilton Beach uses a high-efficiency Permanent HEPA-type filter that can be vacuum cleaned without having to be replaced, helping to save a lot of money. It also contains two activated carbon filters for odor control, but they need to be replaced frequently.
While costing slightly more than competitors in its category, it performs impressively, with up to 160 square feet (15 square meters) of purification space exceeding even some much larger models. It’s a solid investment for any pet owner, and if we had to find a downside, it would be that we wish a larger model was available.
This is another Winix product, similar to the 5500, but with some additional features, including
- 5-stage air purification system with 2 pre-filters, 1 True HEPA filter, 1 carbon filter, 1 PlasmaWave generator
- Designed specifically for pet owners to eliminate microscopic animal dander and hair that cause allergies and breathing problems
- 2 smart sensors that individually monitor the room for odors and dust, automatically adjusting the unit to quickly remove such contaminants
- 1 light sensor to put the device in sleep mode when sleeping or when the lights are dim
The HR900 can only handle 300 square feet (28 square meters) of space, which may not seem to match its price, but the extra cleaning power more than makes up for it.
The GermGuardian AC5000 uses a 3-in-1 air purification system to treat all types of air pollutants and keep rooms in a healthy environment. The 3-in-1 system includes.
- True HEPA filter: captures 99.97% of microscopic allergens, dust and mold spores, making it the best product for people suffering from allergies or asthma
- Carbon filter: reduces odors caused by pets, smoke and cooking, leaving the air fresh
- UV-C Light: kills bacteria and viruses that can cause health problems
Perfect for small to medium sized rooms, with a purification area of up to 193 square feet (18 square meters), this product has a lightweight and upright design that is easy to move anywhere it fits. Note that this purifier may emit a plastic odor for the first 48 hours.
Not everyone has the time to sift through the sheer number of reviews, so we’ve crafted this article to get you to the right air purifier quickly. If you want to learn more about what specific features mean, here is a list of terms.
- Pre-filter: prevents large particles from damaging the main filter, and most pre-filters are washable and reusable.
- True HEPA filter: This is the highest standard of air filter, and in order to carry this label, the product must meet strict U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) regulations and capture at least 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- BioGS HEPA filter: This is a more advanced version of the True HEPA filter, specifically designed to reduce particle build-up on the filter and reduce particle quality over time. BioGS HEPA filters can last 18 to 36 months if properly maintained.
- HEPA type filter: This is a lower level version of the True HEPA filter that does not meet the standards set by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) as described above. It can capture particles as small as 1 micron, 2 microns, 5 microns or larger.
- Activated carbon (or carbon) filters: very porous, with a large surface area, allowing them to absorb odorous particles and gases.
- Ion generator: Emits negative ions into the air, which bond with positively charged particles such as dust, bacteria and allergens, which then fall to the ground. Generators do not need to be replaced, but some products absorb falling particles through electrostatic collection plates, which can be cleaned and reused.
- UV-C Light: UV stands for ultraviolet light, which is part of the electromagnetic spectrum that constitutes electromagnetic radiation, including light, radio and X-rays. UV-C is a subband of ultraviolet light that kills microorganisms but is completely harmless to humans.
- Ozone: This is a highly reactive molecule known for killing bacteria, viruses and removing odors. However, excessive inhalation can be hazardous to human health and may lead to reduced lung function, chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, throat irritation, etc.
- PlasmaWave technology: safely destroys airborne contaminants without producing harmful ozone. Plasma state of air through an electrical pulse that generates positive and negative ions that combine with water vapor to form hydroxyl radicals that attack bacteria, mold, viruses, chemical gases and other pollutants.
- Smart-on function: allows the air purifier to be controlled from a mobile device with the relevant APP, allowing for things like scheduled tasks and timers to be set, as well as tracking the effectiveness of the filter’s purification.
- Clean-Cel anti-bacterial treatment: stops the growth of bacteria, mould and fungi, helping to extend the life of the filter and reduce odours caused by micro-organisms.
- Intelligent sensors: monitor the air quality in the room and adjust themselves to eliminate pollutants.
- Light sensor: monitors the light level in the room, too dark will trigger the air purifier to go into sleep mode, making it quiet and energy efficient for nighttime use.